AgriLife Today: Food Manager Certification Training
AgriLife Today: Food manager certification training set March 24-25 in Pampa
A professional food manager certification training course will be offered March 24-25 by the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service in Gray County.
The program will be at the Gray County Annex, 12125 Frederic St., Pampa. The fee is $125, and preregistration is due March 18. To register call 806-669-8033.
The fee includes training, materials and a national food manager certification examination. The Texas Department of State Health Services requires each food establishment to have one certified food manager employed. The food manager’s certification will be valid anywhere in Texas for five years.
Joan Gray-Soria, AgriLife Extension family and community health agent in Gray County, said she offers this course twice a year because statistics indicate that food borne illness continues to be a health issue in the U.S. Typically, she said, her course attracts about 10 managers and restaurant owners from around the region.
“This face-to-face class gives restaurant owners and managers an opportunity to learn the updated Texas Food Establishment Rules and prepare for the National ServSafe exam,” she said. “I like providing an opportunity for managers to learn in a positive setting with other managers. This also helps ensure an understanding that makes our food safer when we eat out.”
She said the benefits of improved food safety include:
• Increased customer satisfaction.
• Improved relationships with health officials.
• Prevention of bad publicity and lawsuits due to food borne illness.
By attending the course, food service managers will learn about:
• Identifying potentially hazardous foods and common errors in food handling.
• Preventing contamination and cross-contamination of food.
• Teaching and encouraging personal hygiene for employees.
• Complying with government regulations.
• Maintaining clean utensils, equipment and surroundings.
• Controlling pests.
For more information, contact Gray-Soria at 806-669-8033.